It's been awhile!

Yikes, been ages since my last update! We had a bunch of delays in getting the internet wired here at the apartment due to local techies being totally unfamiliar with Apple computers (and even telling us, at one point, that it was impossible to get online with them). But anyways, we finally got it working today, so I don't have to sneak on the neighbors network anymore (it only worked 10% of the time anyways).

So. What's new. A lot, actually. I've been touring around the city almost every day discovering cool new spots of interest. Yesterday I found a great, cheap DVD shop, a shopping mall with awesome gyros, a Korean BBQ place (considered pricey, but was only about $5), and a skate park. There were a couple of American teenagers skating there, which was really odd to see.

When I first came here, I figured that I'd be able to blend in to some extent since I have a semi-asian look, black hair, am short, etc. As it turns out, apparently I'm very obviously a foreigner because I get stared down all the time. At first it was disconcerting, but I've gotten used to it, and people are super friendly after a simple greeting. Usually very helpful, too. At a clothing store at the mall I wanted to try on a jacket and was immediately attended to by 5 girls - one took my bag, another took my jacket, and the rest picked out a bunch of sizes and styles for me to try on. It was pretty nuts, and a little overwhelming. I didn't buy the jacket.

And yesterday was similar. We went to go look at some new furniture to replace the ugly stuff that's in here now, and stumbled on a cool modern/Euro place downtown. We went in, and in an upstairs balcony window they had all these stylish, comfy chairs. Since it was such a great view we joked about how it would make a great coffee drinking spot, and a minute later an employee came back with cappuccinos for us and we all sat and hung out for a bit. So awesome!

Tonight I think I'm gonna head out to a night market that I keep hearing about. I want to get myself some jogging shoes and pants and go exploring around the nearby neighborhoods. I hear it's a short bus ride to get there, and for 15 cents a ride, you can't really go wrong...

posted by Mr. Linty @ 4:00 AM,

4 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Blogger Karaku said...

I hope your wallet is still in your pocket, because the market is not that safe...

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found the attentiveness of people in shops in Asia pretty weird at first, but I think I'd take that over the complete lack of interest I receive whenever I walk into a clothes shop in Philly. Streetwear shops are particularly bad for this, I'd presume that they don't need my money, but as I'm usually the only person in the shop I doubt that's true.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Nick Piekarz said...

Sounds like an awesome trip. Watch out for the night market haha, Btw i got the belt and new t shirt in the mail today.. I love it! haha thanks man, enjoy the trip

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Mr. Linty said...

As it turns out, I skipped the night market and just watched some movies...

Yeah, I think I prefer the service here too, even if it is a little intrusive-feeling at first.

Nick, glad you dig the new stuff! Sweet pic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home