A bit of gratitude...

A few weeks ago, while I was putting the finishing touches on Dr. K's Chemistry, I got to thinking about this old Chemistry teacher I had back when I was going to Homestead High School in California. His name was Mr. Nafrada and he was seriously one of my top 5 teachers from the entirety of my school days. Not only did he have his snowboard and other awesome paraphernalia hung about proudly on the classroom walls, but he'd always have music playing during our labs (I distinctly remember Weezer's Blue Album on the first day of class!). But all that hip stuff aside, he was a solid teacher and was always showing us new things about chemistry and its application in everyday life.

Anyway, I got to thinking that it'd be pretty rad of me to send him one of the shirts when they were printed, so tonight after getting the release out and posting hype on a bunch of sites, I tracked down his email on my old school's site and sent him this:


Mr. Nafrada,

Ok, so I'm sure you get these from time to time, and I imagine that with the hundreds of kids you've taught over the years, it's tough to remember any of them, but I'm writing anyway!

My name is Eric Terry and I was in your chemistry class back in 2001/2002 as a sophomore. If there was one thing you'd remember me for, it'd be the Simpsons periodic table I did...

I just wanted to thank you for being one of the raddest teachers I ever had. Although I live thousands of miles away (Atlanta GA) and it's been years since I was in Homestead, I still tell stories of all your awesome pyrotechnic experiments and interesting applications of the sciences. You made an impact on me, and I'm sure that's the case with loads of other students as well.

Now a bit about me: In 2006, in my second year of college I started a clothing line called Linty Fresh. It ended up growing pretty quickly, and soon I quit school, then quit my day job, and as of June of last year I'm doing LF full time. The tees usually have some sort of wacky story behind them, and are theme-based. Well, the latest tee I did was based on fictional chemistry. As a sort of thank you for being such an inspiration, I wanted to send one of these tees your way with some other goodies. Just tell me your size and where I should send it!

Thanks a ton, for everything!

-Eric Terry


We'll see!

posted by Mr. Linty @ 12:26 AM,

5 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Blogger Mija said...

that is so nice of you to send one to him! So weird, this post started to make me think of my favorite teacher too, although mine was an english teacher.

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think i was the first to order the new tee.

at first i was like, of course, another great design by eric, then i saw the 'glows in the dark' part and went psycho!

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Mr. Linty said...

Good teachers make ALL the difference in school. It's way more fun to go to class and you're more motivated to do well.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Coty said...

That's was a pretty awesome post! I love great teachers!

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've been doing some great work mate. The hard work seems to be paying off. I'm truly happy for you. Keep up the hard work captain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home