Eric teaches drawing!

So last week I was over at a friend's house for movie night, and a couple of the girls were saying that they wished they could draw, but could never be artists, blah blah, the typical stuff that people say when they've never been shown the basics. I told them that they were wrong, and that anyone can learn to draw realistically with minimal training. They scoffed, so I told them to come over my place and that I'd show them some basic drawing techniques.

So yesterday I pulled my couch away from the wall (so I could walk behind it and watch the students draw!), set up one of my tripod lights, put a few items out to draw (a contact solution bottle and a cardboard box, both flat white), put on some music, and ordered a pizza.

They were pretty timid about the whole thing at first, but after a rundown on the tools (6B-6H pencils and gum erasers) and a quick explanation on using your pencil as a ruler and angle approximator, they were eager to get started. Since perspective and proportions are most important to achieving realism, we spent 3/4th of the time on that, and I wouldn't let them shade until they had it down just right. But once that was down, they had already learned to really study what they saw and notice the minute details. I was actually pretty blown away by the final, fully shaded pieces. (Should've taken pics!!!) They were honestly better than a good chunk of the work I saw from classmates back in my college drawing classes! They were totally stoked on it too, and insisted that they would all practice at home and be back for a second lesson in a few weeks!

Anyways, forcing them to do a still life like that reminded me of being back in college with all the still lifes we were given, so I went digging in the garage and found a few pieces from 04-05ish. I uploaded a few to my flickr. I kind of would like to get back to it a bit.

Stuff

posted by Mr. Linty @ 9:24 PM,

6 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger Sara Lydia Tuell said...

That's awesome; I always find myself in the same situation. Of course it takes a lot of practice to become a talented artist, but everyone sells themselves short. Maybe they're just intimidated. But I've always enjoyed the innocence of my friends' drawings. It's an innocence that they have maintained through childhood and that I can no longer achieve because my skills are too developed now. They never understand this, but I wish they did!

(Just incase you're wondering why this crazy girl is randomly commenting on your blog.. I was at the Madison Hand Craft It art thing.. me and my friend were volunteers and we came by and bought some buttons (which I wore today, actually. :] ) Remember?)

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger Mr. Linty said...

Yeah, I totally remember you. And if I recall correctly, your parents actually came by my booth after you left and were racking their brains over what tee to get you. I think they actually ended up leaving empty handed. Lol. Was that ever rectified?

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Sara Lydia Tuell said...

Aw.. dang.. No I never got a shirt, and I didn't know that they were looking for one either! But I was going to ask for one for my birthday anyways. (March 6th). Do you have any suggestions?

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be there for the second lesson.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Vincent said...

I've never seen these, mate. You're good. Makes me wanna break out the ole pencils and get some practice in something other than a sketchbook.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Mr. Linty said...

Nico,

Awesome dude, I'll let ya know.

Vince,

Yeah, I really went in the opposite direction after leaving school and being so fed up with still lifes and naturalism. I kind of miss that disciplined work ethic though. I'm actually making it a goal to draw a lot while I'm in China. I'll have the time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home