Why I do it.

Well here I am, sitting in front of my iMac at 11:55, having just woken up after another late night. I've got a half-finished plate of breakfast in front of me (eggs, sausage, and rice, because I'm that Asian) next to a little bowl of fruit cocktail. And I've gotta say, working for myself is pretty nice.

In all honesty, though, that's just half of the picture. The other half, which often goes unmentioned, is the part where I freak out after spending huge chunks of cash on new releases, or after I go a day without a single order. It's pretty scary, and especially at this time of year (when things are slower), I find myself sweating more and more often. Because when all is said and done, Linty Fresh isn't just a hobby. Heck, it's not even just a business anymore! It's my sole livelihood. It's part of the reason I put 110% into everything I produce!

But every so often, despite sluggish sales and high overheads, I get a little boost that makes up for it all. This past week, it was an email from another indie clothing line owner. I won't share all of it because it was so personal and sincere, but this was one sentence that particularly got me:

"...Your journey of building LF has help me see how i can combine everything i love about art, passion, life, positivity, and helping."

Needless to say, I was pretty blown away by it. And this, more than anything else, is what keeps me creating. Like seeing the reactions of people viewing my products at ICE, messages like this one remind me that being able to inspire other people and brighten their lives (even if just a little), is a way more rewarding result than making cash.

posted by Mr. Linty @ 10:55 AM,

4 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just came across your blog yesterday and it is mesmerizing, for lack of a better word! I've been reading as many entries as I can. What you've done is *really* impressive, and the fact that your open and so willing to share your growth and experiences is extremely rare and commendable. Keep it up!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Mr. Linty said...

Thanks for the kind words, Kevin. :)

 
At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eggs, sausage, and rice? Yum! Totally a local style breakfast in Hawaii! :)

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Mr. Linty said...

Yeah, I'm from Hawaii, and we just got some authentic Portuguese sausage here in GA! Soooooooooo good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home