Putting the cart before the horse?

Ha. Probably!

In any case, things are moving quickly, so I'm just hanging on and seeing where it leads.

After doing the factory tour they asked me to show them thumbnails of the designs I wanted to print so they could get a quote to me. Once that was out of the way, I got them measurements for the tees since they will be producing them from scratch (!). This was something that I think is especially important here, because often times the tees are cut too short or the sleeves are fit weird on Chinese brands. This way I get to specify everything that I want. It'll be the same for hoodies, jackets, and anything else I produce down the line.

With that out of the way it's just a matter of opening a webstore, which is even easier here than in the US, so that'll be up right after the tees are printed (early July, it looks like). I'm a little apprehensive about being overseas when all this happens, of course. Kind of feel like the dad that misses his kid's first steps... But all should be well. I really trust the folks that are going to be running it for me till I get back. I actually met with one of them today, who helped me get a bank account set up locally. How will I ever pay back all these favors? I have no idea.

Possible LF headquarters?Anyhow, with all these wheels in motion, I realized that getting a bigger place was pretty essential. The place I'm in now is roughly 1,000 square feet, which is actually big for China, but still not quite bit enough to run a storage facility and shipping operation, even a small one. So we (my roommate and I) put the word out to some friends and today arranged an appointment with the owner of a former cigarette factory that is being renovated into a small community of lofts, restraunts, and shops. Unfortunately it was a bit far from where I want to be, but the rooms were absolutely massive. We checked out one 2,000 square foot place with a 20ft ceiling that was amazing, and super reasonable. We'll see. I've always wanted to live in a place like that, and now I have the perfect excuse!

After touring around we grabbed a quick lunch and then got a massage at one of the nicest places in the city. Private room, giant flat screen TV, someone dedicated to bringing us fresh tea, and super nice masseuses. Does it get any better? Um, no.

Possible LF headquarters?So here's my plans for the next few months - on Friday I fly down to Shanghai and kick it with some friends for a few days. I'm actually catching a concert for a Chinese indie band I heard about in the states, too. Stoked! Then on Monday I fly back to Atlanta and have exactly 3 days to prep for the Indie Craft Experience on May 30th, 31st. After that I head up to New York for Renegade Brooklyn and the next week I'm in California visiting family and friends. Then it's back on the road for a couple of shows in North Carolina and New Jersey. Then, if I'm still alive, I hop on one final one-way flight back to China, where I begin the next chapter of both my life and Linty Fresh.

It's crazy how much has happened in the last 3 months since coming here, and I truly never expected to love it this much. Every day is a new adventure. I know it sounds cheesy, but I really feel that way. I've met some great people here, too, some of whom have really made everything possible for LF to this point.

Man, I'm gonna miss it here.

posted by Mr. Linty @ 3:03 AM,

8 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Marvin said...

Wow! This all sounds amazing. I hadn't heard from you on twitter in a while and it's good to hear an update.

Though I've been busy myself too, I just got a job in NYC and will be moving to live the dream! Funny, I've said for a while now that I'd show up to see you in Brooklyn and the way things worked out...the Renegade fair is on the weekend of my first week in NYC. I'll have to try and make it. :D

PS...stock up on XL shirts. I'm a fatty.

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous T-Shirt Magazine said...

"I hop on one final one-way flight back to China, where I begin the next chapter of both my life and Linty Fresh." Hold on, so you're eventually moving to China for good?? What a major step! But you seem to really like it and have fun adventures there. When's the Brooklyn Renegade Fair? I'll try to make it to the fair and check out your booth.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger JoyfantasticDesign said...

awesommmmme!! i'm in a former factory building, myself. and lemme tell ya - once you live like this, there's no going back lol! and the rent you stated is crazy cheap!

congrats, you're a real inspiration and i hope to see you @ renegade or NJ!! : )

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Mr. Linty said...

Marvin,

Congrats! Looking forward to meeting you in Brooklyn then! I'm glad it'll work out. As for XLs, I've got plenty. See you soon!

Matt,

Yup, I'm gonna be moving here permanently in August! I've just fallen in love with it here, and since there's this business opportunity to address, there's no reason not to! Renegade Brooklyn is the weekend of June 6, 7. See you there!

JoyfantasticDesign,

I know, these lofts just make me drool! Hope to see you in Brooklyn too!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Mark Lewis said...

I am super excited for you! Congrats. I missed your last chat, hope you do it more - especially when you're back in China.

OT: Know any shows in Boston this summer?

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Angela said...

Whoa, I can't believe you're moving there!! So...will LF still be run in the states by someone too?

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Mr. Linty said...

Mark,

I've got no plans to do any Boston shows, and I'm not really familiar with the scene, sorry...

Angela,

Yup, LF will still have someone manning it here in the US. It just won't be me any more.

 
At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are an inspiration. kudos. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home