Self Deadlines are OK!

Thinking so much about the time when I can quit my job and support myself is having a negative effect on my current employment, I think. Today, for the first time in a few weeks, I had to do "design" at work. It's the farthest possible stretch of the term, really, since it's just a matter of transferring data from dozens of emails and spreadsheets into sign templates. Seriously more boring than boredom itself.

I don't think it was just me, though, because my boss was grumpy about it as well, especially since the contact we were working through didn't really know what he was talking about and kept changing stuff on us. I'd go through hours of working getting all these serial numbers right for this sign and he'd email us and tell us he wanted to use the item numbers instead of the serial numbers. I think, at that point, slamming my finger in a car door would've been less painful.

Funny thing is, I knew that as soon as I got in today I had all this design stuff to get done for Linty Fresh. I'm releasing another 2 shirts on May first, so I had to get all the print files prepped, pick out the right pantone colors, and make last minute changes on various elements to make them feel right on a shirt.

I think one of the most enjoyable things for me is doing the tags, strangely enough. See, there's this certain amount of worry that goes into every tee design. I think to myself: Are people really going to like this? Do I even like it? Is this too similar to my other stuff? How can I really bring something new to the table with this? It's a gamble, really, putting so much money out there and hoping to make it back. But the thing is, when I'm finally happy with it, and I can walk away and come back and still like it, there's this great feeling of "that's it!" where everything just moves really quickly. And that's when I do the tags. I try to match the style or the theme of the tee and do something a little different each time, and it's just loads of fun.

Here's the tags for the May tees:

posted by Mr. Linty @ 10:38 PM,

2 Comments:

At 3:52 AM, Blogger Jon said...

Clients can be a bitch.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Mr. Linty said...

Yeah it's a real headache. I've been taking on less and less commission work because of it. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home